Safety Information & Rider Conduct
SAFETY INFORMATION AND RIDER CONDUCT
Track cycling involves an inherent level of risk, which we strive to keep to a minimum as we want you to enjoy your sessions here.
In order for our sessions to run as safely as possible we must insist that you adhere to the following guidance.
Eastlands Trust reserves the right to refuse ongoing participation in sessions where customers are not complying with instructions, or otherwise presenting a danger to themselves and / or other track users.
Professional Coaches are in charge of all public sessions in order to:
- run structured activities relevant to the session type and rider group,
- offer constructive feedback to riders to assist with skills and fitness development,
- ensure sessions are conducted safely for all participants.
Please take any constructive feedback given as intended, and if needed please discuss this further with the Session Coach or Lead Track Coach after the session has concluded.
Due to the nature of track riding there is a large element of collective responsibility, i.e. ensuring your own and others safety through your conduct and decision making throughout the session.
- We recommend you wear two layers of clothing above the waist (a t-shirt and cycling top are ideal, or two t-shirts).
- You should not change clothes in the track centre, and if removing a jersey or Lycra top must wear an under vest. Changing rooms are available.
- Shoulders must be covered, so singlet vests and triathlon vests or suits are not allowed, unless worn as an underlayer with another sleeved layer on top.
- Rear jersey pockets must be empty, lockers are available to store valuables in.
- When not on the track riders should wear warm clothing.
Shoes, Mitts, Helmets & Accessories:
- If you are hiring Velodrome shoes you must wear socks, and it is good practice anyway as it prevents chafing.
- Cleats should be unworn and in good clean condition.
- If using your own cycling shoes with our hire bikes please ensure you use Look Keo Cleats.
- Do not walk from the riders "D" to the changing rooms in cycling shoes with cleats.
- Helmets must be worn and fastened securely at all times when riding in the arena.
- If your helmet has a peak fitted, it must be removed. No other fixings to helmets are allowed, including light(s), cameras and mascots.
- Track mitts should be worn to reduce injury risk on any contact or impact – and can also be used to wipe your nose!
- We recommend you do not wear jewellery, this includes a watch or wrist heart rate monitor.
Food and Drink:
- We recommend you do not eat within the 2 hrs before a training session.
- No drinks are to be consumed or taken onto the blue safety zone – keep them on the ramp or in the riders "D", using the bottle storage provided.
- You must not eat or chew gum whilst on the track, and must dispose of any gum appropriately in one of the litter bins in the Riders D.
You are responsible for the ongoing condition and safety of your bike.
If you're attending with your own bike for the first time, please ask the coach to check this over for you before you take it up onto the track so we can confirm it meets our specifications.
Please do not ride outside the Velodrome and then bring the bike back in as this brings more dirt onto the track surface.
- Keep pedalling at all times once moving
- Look before moving up or down the track, in the intended direction of travel
- Avoid sudden changes in pace, unless instructed by the session coach as part of an activity.
- If the rider in front of you in the line slows down, do not do the same - overlap on his/her outside without slowing.
- Overtake above (to the right) unless instructed otherwise by the session coach as part of an activity.
- Pay attention to coach signals or other instructions during activities.
- If unsure, leave the track safely and speak to the session coach to clarify.
- If tired, leave the track safely to rest in the riders D before rejoining activities at an appropriate time.
- In the event of a crash, ride high, maintain track speed, and await further instruction from the session coach.
You must not ride up or down on the ramp, must not ride in the riders "D" or on the track centre floor.
You must not spit or clear your nose onto any surface within the Velodrome.
Your fellow riders
Please respect your fellow riders and venue staff. Swearing or aggressive language towards or about other riders or the venue staff will not be tolerated, and could result in you being asked to leave the session.
Please welcome and make allowances for newer riders participating in your session.
Please ensure any feedback about any individuals riding, or their conduct, is directed through the session coach to take further action if necessary.